Ngā Mōkai O Ngā Whetū is the NZ Māori Dental Students' Association, that was founded in 2007, and set up by the students', for the students', to help support and promote participation, development and success of all Māori students in Oral health.
The association includes postgraduate and undergraduate students from all fields in Oral health, including Dentistry, Dental Specialities, Dental Therapy, Dental Hygiene, Dental Technology, Bachelor of Oral Health.
The logo above was designed by Raniera Ellison in 2016, and symbolises bringing things to fruition; being guided by the heavens in creating their will; moving in a way of peace; being aware of and catering to the spiritual and environmental, while also providing for the wider communities.
The objectives of Ngā Mokai are set to enhance the whakawhanaungatanga between students and staff while maintaining the authenticity of Māori and integrity of the University to develop well academically but in an environment that caters for the individuality of Māori.
- Provide peer support to all Māori students interested in dental related fields.
- Provide mentors for new and graduating dental students through the Te Kaiārahi programme.
- To make a contribution to and awhi dental excursions, events, ventures and skill development of our members.
- To give students the opportunity to liase and network with other health professionals.
- To provide the Dental School with guidance when asked on Māori matters pertaining to oral Health.
- Being a part of the Otago Dental School mihiwhakatau, the official welcoming of new students
- Attending Te Aō Marama Hui a Tau and involvement in the Te Kaiārahi mentoring programme
- Representation on Te Aō Marama by an executive member
- Attendance at the biannual HSFY hui organized by the Māori centre at Otago University
- Regular meetings with the executive and members
- Financial support for members on clinical placement
- Provision of dental school tours and presentations for prospective students
- Organisation of celebrations of te wiki o te reo at the Otago dental school
- Presenting graduating students with a Tohu from Ngā Mokai
- End of year formal dinner
Ngā Mokai O Ngā Whetū ki Ōtākou Executive Committee 2019:
Tumuaki - Te Waikapoata Tamati, Tuhoe/Ngati Whakaue, BDS5
Tumuaki Tuarua - Nikki Hale , Ngati Porou, BDS5
Kaitiaki Putea - Ashley Howse, Ngai Tahu, BDS5
Kaituhi - Rereahu Jefferies, Te Whakatohea/Apanui, BDS5
Kaiwhakahaere BOH - Simeon Wilson, Ngati Kahungunu/ Ngai Tahu, BOH3
Ngā Mokai o Ngā Whetū ki Tamaki Executive Committee 2018:
Tumuaki - Grace Gillies Ngāti Kahungunu,Ngāti Awa BOH3
Kaituhi - Ruby Dunn Te Rarawa,Ngāpuhi,Ngāi Te Rangi BOH3
Kaitiaki Putea - Kate Bryan Ngāti Kahungunu
If you would like to know more about Ngā Mokai, have a question or would like to be a part of the association: